Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Are you content?

In the past few months I have been reading books on contentment. One from Jeremiah Burroughs-Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment and the other by Stephen Altrogge- The Greener Grass Conspiracy...You must be thinking aint this an overdose on learning the art of contentment?? Nope, our hearts are very deceitful and we need to be steered to the truth every single waking moment of our lives.

Its been a while now, almost over 6 months since i have been reading these books. I struggled with discontentment when i did not have a job and I struggle today when I do have one... So what is the main cause for discontentment.

The answer:The disposition of our heart.

Our heart is very wicked and is never satisfied with anything  that we have. It will always seem less. It is a lie that we believe that If I have more I will be happy. One of the ways in which we can battle discontentment is by thanking the Lord for the immense blessings He has showered on us. The following Puritan prayer summarizes  it in the following words:

O Lord I am astonished at the difference
between by receivings and my deservings,
between the state I am now and my past gracelessness
between the Heaven I am bound for and the hell  I merit...
O that a crown should fit the head of such a sinner!
such high advancement be for an unfruitful person!
such joys for so vile a rebel! ( "The Mover")

May this prayer always remind us of our blessings! 


A video to help you understand the true state of our heart:)

1 comment:

Naiesha said...

Thanks for the post! Finally, after all the 'compelling' and prodding....

I love the prayer as it reminds of my true deservings and my real receivings!! Oh for a heart that is content in Christ!!